Different personality styles have a tendency to clash, and knowing your personality style and those around you can help diffuse, rather than light a fuse, situations.
Read below for 10 tips for conflict resolution using DISC and behavioral awareness:
1. Identify the personality type of the person you are in conflict with and adjust your approach accordingly.
2. Never confront someone with a "C" personality the same way you would someone with a "D" personality. Direct confrontation will make someone with a "D" personality respect you, but it will cause a "C" personality to avoid you.
3. If you have a "D" personality, remember that an argument isn’t a competition. There doesn’t have to be a winner and a loser.
4. When confronting an "I" personality, start with something positive. Beginning the conversation with a compliment or a funny anecdote will pave the way to a more productive discussion.
5. If you have an "I" personality, when someone approaches you with a problem, make a conscious effort to listen without interrupting. Sometimes people just want to know they’re being heard.
6. Be mindful of what you ask of "S" personality types. They dislike dramatic change. They also like to please others and will often over-promise.
7. Don’t let problems fester. Unresolved conflict often has a ripple effect on those around you. For example, "S" personalities need a peaceful, harmonious environment in order to thrive. If there is a conflict in the workplace, it affects them deeply even if they aren’t directly involved.
8. If you have a "D" personality, make a choice to approach conflict assertively, not aggressively.
9. Conflict is never resolved when only one person’s needs are met.
10. If you need someone to help mediate a conflict, an "S" personality would be a perfect choice.
Most conflicts arise through misunderstanding and miscommunication. Learn how to more effectively communicate with others of different personality types to reduce or eliminate conflict through our Introduction to Behavioral Analysis online course. Or take your behavioral understanding to the next level through full DISC certification as a PeopleKeys Certified Behavioral Consultant.
©1985- PeopleKeys, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Mon - Fri / 8:30AM - 5:00PM EST